People of Prominence Buried at Riverside Cemetery

Aaron Benedict (August 9, 1785 – February 9, 1873) 
Aaron BenedictAaron Benedict started his career in the manufacture of gilt buttons. In 1834, he formed the firm of Benedict and Burnham, known for the production of brass and copper. Many companies were launched by Benedict and Burnham including the American Pin Company, Waterbury Button Company, the Waterbury Watch Company, and the Waterbury Clock Company. The Waterbury Clock Co. (later U. S. Time and then Timex) developed into the largest manufacturer of wristwatches in the world. For many years, Benedict also served in the Connecticut State Legislature and Senate.

Henry Sabin Chase (October 1, 1855 – March 4, 1918)
ChaseHenry Sabin Chase, son of August Chase and member of a prominent Waterbury family, succeeded his father to the presidency of the Waterbury Manufacturing Company in 1896. In 1917, he merged the Chase Rolling Mill Co. (1900) and the Chase Metal Works (1910) to form the Chase Companies. The Chase Companies became one of the three leaders of the brass industry in the world with 4,000 employees making 33,000 products. A great supporter of the aesthetic movement known as the City Beautiful, he engaged noted architect, Cass Gilbert, to design the Chase Office building on Grand Street in downtown Waterbury.

Hiram W. Hayden (February 10, 1820 – July 18, 1904)
Hiram W. Hayden was the first person to successfully engrave metal buttons. He was also responsible for the manufacture of all of the important dyes for buttons and metals manufactured by the Scovill Company. A noted inventor, he developed the processing methods that led to the development of quality American brass. He registered 58 patents with the U. S. Patent Office including the process of spinning brass to make rounded objects, an operation first used to make kettles. Among other inventions he patented were a breech-loading rifle and breech-loading cannon. He wrote an unpublished scientific article on the subject of the daguerreotype in 1851 entitling him to consideration as an independent discoverer of the photographic process.

Israel Holmes (December 19, 1800 – July 15, 1874) 
Israel Holmes began works as a clerk it the button store operated by J.  L. Scovill and W. H. Scovill and was later sent to Birmingham, England by Scovills to acquire the necessary men and machines to manufacture metallic buttons. KingsburyHe made three trips in all and was successful in persuading a group of gilders, burnishers and die-sinkers to join him. English law prohibiting export of machines and workers forced Holmes to conceal the men in empty wine casks aboard ship until they were set to sail. On his last trip to England, he brought back casters, rollers, wiredrawers, and tube-makers along with the machinery needed to begin the manufacture of brass. This was the impetus for Waterbury to develop into “The Brass Center of the World.”  

Frederick J. Kingsbury (January 1, 1823 – September 30, 1910) 
A graduate of Yale in 1845, Frederick John Kingsbury can be considered Waterbury’s Renaissance man. In 1850 he obtained the charter for what was to become Waterbury Savings Bank. 1n 1853 he established the Citizens Banks of which he was president for many years. He served as president of Scovill Manufacturing Company from 1868 into the early 1900’s. He helped to organize the Silas Bronson Library, the Mattatuck Historical Society, the Waterbury Hospital, Riverside Cemetery and, in 1876, designed the City of Waterbury Seal.  He served as President of the American Social Science Association, was a member of the Corporation of Yale University from 1887 to 1899 and was honored with law degrees from Yale and Williams College.

Sarah Johnson Prichard (January 11, 1830 – February 23, 1909)
Sarah Prichard was a prominent nineteenth century writer noted especially for her children’s books and stories as well as her historical pieces. A Waterbury native and graduate of the Willard Seminary in Troy, NY, her first published article describing her travels from Niagara to the north appeared in the Waterbury American in 1853. Her first published book, Martha’s Hooks and Eyes, was published in 1860. She wrote twelve lively historical children’s stories, an article on the first burial at Riverside Cemetery and in 1887 began the arduous task of writing the first volume of Anderson’s History of the Town and City of Waterbury (1896). For nine years she researched and wrote a scrupulously detailed history of Waterbury from the arrival of the first white settler to the end of the Revolutionary War.  Her works were published in The Atlantic Monthly, the Evening Post, The New York Tribune and St. Nicholas.

The Scovill Brothers
ScovillJames Mitchell Lamson Scovill
(September 4, 1789 – May 16, 1847)
William Henry Scovill (July 17, 1796 – March 27, 1854)
The Scovill brothers probably more than anyone else are responsible for Waterbury being named “The Brass City.”  At the age of twenty-two, James with Frederick Leavenworth and David Hayden purchased the gilt button business of Abel Porter. On April 4, 1827, William Henry Scovill bought out Leavenworth and Hayden, purchasing half interest in the firm which then became J. M. L. and W. H. Scovill. The “mill on the Mad River” flourished for nearly 200 years. In its long history, it presented a set of solid gold buttons as a sample of American workmanship to the Marquis de Lafayette in 1824 in appreciation of his service to the United States during the American Revolutionary War. In addition to being a major manufacturer of brass, “Scovills” expanded into the manufacture of many other products including the development of the daguerreotype, photography and munitions. During World War II, Scovill Mfg. claimed that American fighting men depended upon the company for some part of their food, clothing, shelter or equipment. At its zenith it was the largest brass making and brass fabricating plant in the world with 15,675 employees producing 5,500 different products.

Caroline J. Welton (June 7, 1842 – September 23, 1884)   
Caroline J. WeltonCaroline Josephine Welton, only child of prominent businessman, Joseph Welton, was known for her love of animals, sense of adventure, beauty and eccentricities.  “Carrie,” was known to race her spirited horse, Knight, through the streets of Waterbury. After her father died, she donated much of her inheritance to the newly established American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. In 1880, she left Rose Hill, the estate on Prospect Street where she lived with her mother, and began a lengthy exploration of the Western states. On September 23, 1884, she hired a guide to make the ascent of Long’s Peak in Colorado.

A sudden snowstorm forced the guide to leave Carrie under the shelter of an overhanging ledge while he went for help. On his return he found her frozen to death. In her will she left the rest of her fortune to the A. S. P. C. A. as well as $7,000 to the city of Waterbury for a drinking fountain capped with a bronze statue of her horse, Knight. Several relatives contested the will on the basis of insanity. After a lengthy  court procedure, covered by the New York Times, a jury let the will stand allowing Waterbury to have the watering trough for animals and water fountains for the general populace with Knight residing over the monument at the east end of the Waterbury Green.

Stephen Wright Kellogg (April 15, 1822 – January 27, 1904) 
A native of Shelburne, Massachusetts and graduate of the Yale Law School (1848), Stephen Kellogg settled in Waterbury in 1854 when he was appointed Judge of Probate of the Waterbury District. He became a member of the State Senate in 1853 and State House in 1856.  He served as city attorney for Waterbury from 1866 to 1869 and again from 1877 to 1883. During these tenures, Kellogg was responsible for legislation necessary to bring water and sewage systems to Waterbury. During the Civil War he organized the Connecticut “National Guard,” a term that he originated that was later adopted by many states. In 1869, 1871 and 1873, he was the first Waterburian elected to Congress.  He prepared and influenced passage of bills reorganizing the Treasury and War Departments and helped to secure legislation for the improvement of Connecticut harbors.  The system that he advocated for presidential succession after in case of a president’s demise while in office was adopted by Congress and is still in effect. A member of the Silas Bronson Board of Library Agents from 1868 until the time of his death, he succeeded in making the library one of the first public libraries in the country to be a depository for the publications of the United States Government.

Mark LeavenworthMark Leavenworth (August 30, 1774 – September 5, 1849) 
Although born in New Haven, Mark Leavenworth was the member of a legendary Waterbury family. Sometime after 1788, he moved to Waterbury and apprenticed himself to his uncle, Jesse Leavenworth, in buckle making. A contemporary of clock makers Eli Terry, Seth Thomas and Jerome Chauncey, Leavenworth would become Waterbury’s most famous clock maker and the largest clock fabricator in town for twenty years. He built shelf clocks, mostly of the pillar and scroll type. They sold widely with clocks peddled deep into the South as early as 1820. At one point, the business run by him and his son, Benjamin, was the largest wood movement manufacturer of clocks in New Haven County, selling 13,504 clocks from 1824-1829.


Colonel John Lyman Chatfield
Colonel John Lyman Chatfield
(September 13, 1826 – August 9, 1863)
John L. Chatfield was born in Oxford, CT but moved to Waterbury in 1851 with his brothers who built dwellings and churches throughout the Naugatuck Valley.  In 1854, he was instrumental in forming the Waterbury City Guard. When President Lincoln, on April 15, 1861, called for 75,000 soldiers at the beginning of the Civil War, Col. Chatfield, then a Captain, volunteered with his entire company.  On July 21, 1861, Col. Chatfield and his Waterbury City Guard distinguished themselves at the first Battle of Bull Run by capturing two of the enemy’s batteries.  He served in both land and naval expeditions and was wounded in the thigh at the Battle of Pocotaligo.  After recuperating in Waterbury, he returned to battle fighting with the 6th Connecticut at Fort Wagner, South Carolina on July 18, 1863. He was mortally wounded in battle and returned to Waterbury where he died on August 9, 1863 at age 37. He was considered a heroic figure and was admired for his bravery in battle. Throngs of people from the city and state attended his funeral while factories and businesses closed to honor this “born soldier.”



Green KendrickGreen Kendrick
(April 1, 1798 – August 28, 1873)
Green Kendrick was an influential industrialist and politician. Born in Mecklenberg County, North Carolina, he worked as a salesman in Charlotte where he met his future wife, Anna Leavenworth, the daughter of Mark Leavenworth, the famous Waterbury clockmaker. He moved to Waterbury and joined Leavenworth in his business.  Leavenworth and Kendrick were among the first to manufacture gilt buttons. He organized the Waterville Mf. Co. to produce pocket cutlery, the Oakville Pin. Co., the American Suspender Co. and obtained controlling interest in Rogers and Brothers, manufacturers of silver and silver plate.  He served in the State House of Representatives 4 times between 1845 and 1856 and was elected Lieutenant Governor in 1851.  He served in the State Senate in 1864 and in the House once again in 1872. In Waterbury he helped to write the first city charter in 1853, worked on establishing Riverside Cemetery, served as chairman of its board and delivered the dedication address. Serving on many local boards including the Waterbury Board of Education, he promoted education for the masses. Kendrick, his son and grandson all served as mayors of Waterbury.

Charles Augustus Templeton (March 3, 1871 – August 15, 1955)
Charles Templeton, born in Sharon, Connecticut, rose from humble beginnings to become head of  one of Waterbury’s leading mercantile establishments and Governor of the State of Connecticut.  He started his business career in Waterbury in 1888 as a bookkeeper in a hardware store.  By 1905 he established his own hardware store that bore his name until the early 1970’s.  He was elected to the Waterbury Board of Aldermen and became its president in 1918. He served as State Senator from 1919 to 1921, was chosen Lieutenant Governor in 1921 and Governor in ‘23 becoming only the second Waterburian to hold that office. He was independent minded and placed the good of the people before any political considerations. As Governor, he broke up the “Diploma Mill” in which two fake colleges had been issuing diplomas to physicians through correspondence courses. He campaigned for many local philanthropies and was noted as an effective fund raiser. An avid athlete, he set a State YMCA record for the 100-yard dash in 1892. Fiercely supportive of Waterbury, it was said that he would rather have a store in Waterbury than a niche in Westminster Abbey.

The Goss Family of Scovill Manufacturing Company:

Chauncey Porter Goss (1838 – 1918)
Born in Rochester, New York, Chauncey Porter Goss sought employment at the Scovill Manufacturing Company and rose from assistant bookkeeper in 1862 to president from 1900 to 1918. During that 56-year period, Scovill capital stock rose from $300, 000 to $5,000,000. The company became a city within itself employing some 17,000 people and contributing to making Waterbury the Brass Center of the World. He was a good businessman who inspired confidence in others and is considered one of Waterbury’s most valued citizens, active in community affairs working in support of charities, church and schools. His four sons, as well as successive generations, were also associated with Scovill Manufacturing Co. and active in civic affairs.

Edward Otis Goss (1865 – 1938)
Edward Otis Goss was born in Waterbury and graduated from Massachusetts Institute of Technology.  He was president and general manager of Scovill’s from 1920 to 1938.  He was a director of the New Haven Railroad, the Connecticut Company and the Waterbury Gas Light Company.

John Henry Goss (1872 – 1944)
John Henry Goss was born in Waterbury and graduated from Yale University.  He was president and general manager of Scovill’s between 1938 and 1944 and was president of the board at the time of his death.  He also served on Waterbury’s boards of finance and education, leading the effort to include gyms and pools in the public schools.

Chauncey Porter Goss, Jr. (1878 – 1948)
Chauncey Porter Goss, Jr. was born in Waterbury and was educated at Hilbrook Military School in Ossining, NY and the Hotchkiss School in Lakeville, Connecticut.  He began his career at Scovill’s as a casters’ helper and rose to the positions of vice president, director and superintendent of the mills department. He served in WWI as well as a member of the CT National guard for 18 years.

George Augustus Goss, Sr. (1881 – 1942)
George Augustus Goss, Sr. was born in Waterbury and graduated from Yale University in 1903.  He began work at the machine shop at Scovill’s in 1905, became superintendent of manufacturing in 1911 and rose to the position of vice president.  He remained on the board of directors until his death in 1942.

Nelson James Welton (February 15, 1829 – June 5, 1917)
Born in the Bucks Hill section of Waterbury, son of a farmer and musician, Nelson James Welton was a direct descendent of Richard Welton, the first male child of European parents to be born in Waterbury. Welton’s accomplishments are almost too numerous to list.  A voracious reader, he studied everything that he could find on the subjects of engineering and mathematics.  In 1850, at the age of 21, he was appointed County Surveyor for New Haven County and opened an office in Waterbury where he was gainfully employed in the fields of land surveying, civil and hydraulic engineering for more than 50 years.  During the Civil War as Waterbury neighborhoods and factories grew, Welton oversaw the design of the city’s water and sewer system. He was General Manager of the system for more than 30 years as well as President of the Board of Water Commissioners. Welton had the vision to see where the city would grow and how the water system should expand. He was our first city clerk, a Justice of the Peace, a Probate Judge and recorder of the City Court.

Lucy Templeton Kellogg (December 28, 1906 – March 26, 1996)
Lucy Templeton Kellogg was the daughter of Charles A. Templeton who served as Governor of Connecticut from 1922 to 1923. A graduate of St. Margaret’s School (now Chase Collegiate), she became a trustee in 1954 and a life trustee in 1981. Although she was born into a prominent local family and married into another, Mrs. Kellogg felt that privileges came with a duty to support and improve the lives of others. She was a generous, effective and courageous woman who fought for the betterment of Waterbury and its citizens. In 1934 she joined the Waterbury Junior League and later served as its president. During World War II, she became local Red Cross volunteer, assisting military families in crisis. In 1945, she co-founded The Waterbury YWCA. She was the first woman to be elected to St. John’s Episcopal Church as delegate to the Convention of the Diocese of Connecticut. She supported the establishment of a new day nursery center in Waterbury against the wishes of the mayor and won. She supported the establishment of the first halfway house for female alcoholics in St. John’s former rectory and in 1969 she received the Jane Addams Award from the United Council of Waterbury for her outstanding contribution in the field of social welfare. In 1999, the Lucy Templeton Kellogg Visiting Artist Program was established at St. Margaret’s-McTernan School to celebrate Mrs. Kellogg’s love of the arts, Waterbury and the school.

James Croft (January 28, 1774 – January 10, 1837)
Born in Little Witley, Worcestershire, England, James Croft was introduced to the brass industry in the city of Birmingham. In 1817, at age 43, he came to reside in Philadelphia where he was discovered by Charles Kingsbury of Waterbury and induced to come to the Brass City to lend his expertise to the fledgling brass industry. Once here, Croft helped to transform the industry and, in turn, the city into a great industrial center. He helped to improve the quality of work at Leavenworth, Hayden and Scovill (later Scovill Manufacturing Company), Benedict, Burnham Mfg. Co. (later American Brass Company) and Platt Brothers and Company. Samuel Crowther noted in A Basis for Stability, “In 1820, one James Croft, an English brass maker, came to Waterbury… and introduced English machinery and processes. Within ten years, Waterbury was beginning to hold its own against imported rolled brass.” At Benedict, Burnham and Company, Croft introduced techniques and equipment that helped the company to become “for many years foremost in the (button) industry.” He taught Alfred Platt various manufacturing techniques including, “finish-rolling metal to a smooth service; making dies and machines to impart figured patterns to metal buttonfronts; the recipes for the mercury and gold mixture used in gilding, heating methods, etc., etc….” James Croft was the handyman who was instrumental in building Waterbury’s industrial empire.

Mary Merriman Abbott (September 27, 1855 – March 23, 1907)
Mary Merriam Abbott, daughter of Anson F. and Nancy Merriman Abbott, was a pioneer educator, intellectual and social activist. A product of the Waterbury school system, she entered Vassar College when a collegiate education for women was a comparatively new idea. Upon graduation in 1878, she taught at St. Margaret’s Collegiate School at the corner of Cooke and Grove streets, but her driving ambition was to open a school of her own. In 1883, in association with Mrs. J. H. Yerkes, she opened the Hillside Avenue School near Cliff Street. The school was later removed to the corner of Hillside Avenue and Central Avenue. Studies in astronomy were assiduously pursued at the school which boasted a telescope mounted on its rooftop. The school closed in 1892 due to financial problems. After that she was appointed to her alma mater, Waterbury High School (later re-named Crosby), where she taught English until 1907. Miss Abbott was prominent in club work and served as president of the State Federation of Clubs. A dynamic, fluent and engaging speaker, she lectured on educational topics in various parts of the country. As part of a national lecture series which included such notable intellectuals as Horace Greeley, she presented a lecture on astronomy in Waterbury in 1888. The Women’s Council of Education, of which the Connecticut Congress was a member, raised $5,000 to create a scholarship fund at what is now Connecticut College in New London in memory of Miss Abbott. It is still given today. In 1914, the Waterbury Board of Education named a new school at 250 Hill Street the Mary M. Abbott Grammar School.

Robert Wakeman Hill (September 20, 1828 – July 16, 1909)
Robert Wakeman Hill, Dean of Waterbury Architects, was official state architect under Governors Bigelow, Waller, Harrison and Lounsbury. The son of Samuel and Polly Brackett Hill, he received his early education in Waterbury public schools. A trained carpenter, he studied architectural drawing at the Young Men’s Institute in New Haven. During the 1850s, he moved to Milwaukee, Wisconsin where he went into business with Albert C. Nash, who, like Hill, had worked for noted architect, Henry Austin. Robert Hill’s architectural designs are typically a blend of Queen Anne and Romanesque Revival styles. In Waterbury, Hill’s works includes the Rectory Building (1886) on Church Street, Riverside Cemetery’s Hall Memorial Chapel (1885), the Griggs Building on Bank Street (1884), numerous schools including the Welton School (1883) and St. Margaret’s School (1865) on Grove Street. He also designed several factory buildings, a state armory building at Phoenix and Abbott Avenues and the original City Hall of 1889 across from the Green which burned down in 1912. Other works include but are not limited to the Thomaston Opera House and City Hall (1885), the Bronson B. Tuttle House (1881) in Naugatuck, the New Britain Armory (1886) and the Litchfield County Courthouse (1889), now the Litchfield Judicial District Courthouse. Hill designed the Civil War monument in Wood bury (1871) and had a strong influence on architects who got their start under his guidance, including Joseph Jackson and Wilfred Griggs.